Business Licenses/ Occupation Tax Certificates and Licensing & Permits

The City of Hiram requires the following activities to receive a License or Permit. The purpose of this process is to evaluate and provide for the protection of our Community’s Health, Safety and Welfare. These requirements also ensure our vested businesses and residents receive protection against detrimental and/or unfair practice.

Business Licensing and Renewals:

2023 Occupation Tax Certificates expire on 12/31/2023.
10% penalty is assessed on April 1, 2024 and
1.5% interest begins to accrue monthly starting April 1, 2024.

To complete your renewal, please follow the directions on the Renewal Cover Letter that was mailed with your renewal form, and can be accessed by clicking the links below:

Alcohol Licenses & Permits:
Retail Alcohol License

The City of Hiram regulates the sale or otherwise dispensing of alcoholic beverages, including alcoholic beverage catering. The application process begins and ends with the Georgia Department of Revenue via the Georgia Tax Center; you may access the Georgia Tax Center, which includes GTC account set-up and our application materials, by visiting

Click here to access the City of Hiram Alcohol Ordinance: City of Hiram Code of Ordinances, Chapter 6

If you have any questions, please contact the business license department at 770-943-3726, ext. 2013 or

Alcohol Server Permit

Persons serving, handling and/or selling alcohol in a pouring establishment are required to obtain an alcohol server's permit prior to engaging in such activity.

The Hiram Police Department oversees the Permit application and issuance process. 

You may call the Police Department Administration Office for more information at 770-943-3726, ext. 2011.

Outdoor Sales Events (Existing Hiram Businesses):

Outside storage / sales are prohibited by the Zoning Ordinance, however, Hiram businesses are eligible for 4 variances in a calendar year in order to conduct a temporary / seasonal sale. Each variance may be issued for a maximum of 30 days each. (See City of Hiram Code of Ordinances Appendix A, Article XIII, Section L)

Click here for an application: Outdoor Sales Events

Special Events / Promotions:

Events with 20 or more guests and/or that will involve certain special circumstances, such as road closures, provision of merchandise, food or beverages where not otherwise allowed, and obstructing public property, require a Special Event Permit. (See City of Hiram Code of Ordinances Chapter 7)
Click here for an application: Special Event Permit

Charitable Solicitations / Benefits / Promotions:

Solicitations for charitable purposes, whether by going door-to-door and/or holding a benefit or promotion, may require a permit to do so. Please contact the Occupational Tax Certificate Clerk to discuss the details of your plan so that a determination may be made.
*Please note that solicitations of any kind are strictly prohibited in the right-of-way*

Commerical/Door-to-Door Solicitation / Temporary Fixed Location Sales:

Commercial solicitation, whether going door-to-door and/or setting up at a fixed location, requires a permit prior to engaging in such activity. (See City of Hiram Code of Ordinances 12-301 thru 312)

*Please note that solicitations of any kind are strictly prohibited in the right-of-way*

Click here for an application: Commercial / Temporary Fixed Location Solicitations / Sales

Additional Applications: 

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact City Hall Licensing & Permitting:

For Sign Permits, please visit the Planning, Zoning & Annexation Website

Alcohol Application