Occupational Tax Certificates
2022 Occupational Tax Renewal Page
Occupational Tax Certificates for New Businesses
All applicants for any public benefit (i.e. permit, certificate and/or license) given by the City of Hiram will be required by State law to submit a SAVE Affidavit and secure and verifiable document; non-U.S. Citizens must submit acceptable immigration documentation which will be used to verify lawful presence in the United States via U.S.C.I.S. (O.C.G.A. § 50-36-1 & 2)
An E-Verify Affidavit will also be required for each business receiving an occupation tax certificate / business license / permit. (O.C.G.A. § 36-60-6)
Occupational Tax Certificates are issued within 7-10 working days of submitting the following required documentation:
- Occupational Tax Certificate Application Packet:
- Copy of valid secure and verifiable document, e.g...driver's license - can be mailed or emailed to the occupational tax certificate clerk or submitted in person. See the "Occupational Tax FAQ" document below for a list of acceptable secure and verifiable documents
- Applicable occupation tax, payable by cash or check. For businesses that began more than 30 days ago, please contact the occupational tax certificate clerk for amount due
- Certificate of Occupancy, issued by the Paulding County Building Department, however the process starts at the City with Zoning consideration, using this form: Routing Sheet (not applicable to residential businesses)
- Certified Fire Inspection (770) 222-1160 (this is also part of the Certificate of Occupancy process; this is also required for residential child care)
- Required licensing and documentation as determined by the State of Georgia, such as licenses, permits, etc.
- Copy of required business registration from the Georgia Secretary of State 404-656-2817 or Paulding County Clerk of Superior Court for DBA 770-443-7527 (Required by State Law O.C.G.A. § 10-1-490)
- NAICS Number (North American Industry Classification System)
- All documents must be signed by the same, qualified applicant
- Please review for Additional Information: Occupational Tax FAQ
Current Fee Schedule
Click here for rate information. Using the first two digits of your NAICS number, determine which Business Class you are in then on the Rate Table, determine your fee using your estimated gross receipts from your start date in Hiram to the end of the calendar year. Please note that your start date may affect the total fee; if you began business prior to 30 days ago, please contact us for your fees.
The occupation tax and permits clerk also collects and documents liquor by the drink excise taxes, hotel motel excise taxes and wholesale alcohol excise taxes.